In this article:
Ready to do business with us?
Flutter, the open-source mobile application development framework, has revolutionized the app development industry. Many businesses are turning to Flutter for their app development needs. The main reason behind this is its fast development cycle and flexible UI. But with the popularity of Flutter comes the question: how much does the Flutter app development cost?
In this blog, we’ll analyze the factors influencing the Flutter app development cost.
From the development team to the project’s complexity, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make informed decisions about your project budget.
So, whether you’re a seasoned tech pro or a complete newbie, keep reading to learn about the cost of flutter app development!
Flutter App Development Cost: A Short Answer
On average, Flutter app development costs range from $15,000 to $200,000 or more.
It’s essential to keep in mind that these are rough estimates, and the actual cost may vary. Various factors influence the cost of development, which we’ll now discuss.
So, let’s get started!
8 Factors that Affect the Cost of Flutter App Development
Complexity Of The App
The app’s level of complexity influences the flutter app development cost. A simple app with limited functionality will cost less than a complex one with many features.
For example, developing a weather app that displays weather forecasts may cost around $15,000 to $20,000. But, a social media app with messaging, user profiles, and image sharing could cost upwards of $100,000 or more.
The development time for an app is also affected by its level of complexity. A simple app may only take a few months to develop, while a complex one could take even a year to complete. The longer the development time, the higher the flutter app development cost.
Size Of The App
The size of an app refers to the amount of data and information it contains and the number of features it offers. The development cost of a complex flutter app will be higher than that of a more straightforward app. Small apps need fewer resources for development than large and complex ones.
- Screens and features: The cost increases with more features and screens.
- Binary size: The size of the compiled binary file of the app, which is the file installed on the device.
- Disk usage: The amount of storage space the app occupies and its data on the device’s disk.
- RAM usage: The amount of random access memory (RAM) used by the app while running.
- Package size: The size of the app package file downloaded from an app store.
- Lines of code (LOC): If you need an e-commerce platform, it will need many more lines of code than a simple game. While this isn’t 100% true, as some games are much bigger than others, it can be used as a benchmark on average.
LOC (Lines of Code) is a measure used to assess the size of a software program. It represents the total number of lines in the program’s source code.
Features And Functionality
Features and functionality impact the flutter app development cost. The more features and functions included, the more complex the app becomes. This complexity results in higher developmental costs.
Complex features like machine learning and artificial intelligence need knowledge and extensive coding. This increases development costs. Similarly, integrating many payment gateways, databases, and third-party APIs adds to the cost.
Custom UI/UX design, animations, and interactive elements can add to the cost. These design elements need extensive design and coding skills. The elements are time-consuming to implement, leading to an increase in cost.
Integration With Other Systems
Integrating a flutter app with other systems can also affect the development cost. Integrating an app with other systems requires technical expertise.
For instance, integrating multiple payment gateways requires a thorough understanding of the gateway. This process can be challenging, especially if the requirements are not documented. This leads to increased developmental costs.
Similarly, integrating with a database, such as SQL or NoSQL, can also add to the development cost. The database integration process involves the following:
- Designing the database structure.
- Writing and testing the database queries.
- Ensuring data security and privacy.
Additionally, integrating with third-party APIs can also increase the development cost. The API integration process involves understanding and ensuring seamless integration.
Design Requirements Platform (iOS, Android, Or Both)
Design requirements can play a crucial role in determining the look and feel of the app. The platform can also impact the development time and resources required.
Designing an app for both iOS and Android platforms requires understanding of both the platforms. This process can be lengthy and require large resources, leading to a rise in development costs.
But, if the app is designed only for one platform, the cost will be lower, and the development will be more straightforward.
Statista Research indicates that cross-platform development using Flutter is becoming popular. Based on the survey, 42 percent of software developers used Flutter. On the whole, roughly one third of mobile developers use cross-platform technologies or frameworks; the rest of mobile developers use native tools. Also, the research shows that 45% of apps can run on Android and iOS, 41% are for Android, 11% are for iOS, and only 2% are for others.
Thus, it’s important to consider that Flutter can help you with cross-platform development.
Number of screens and pages
The more screens and pages your app has, the more time it will take to develop. If you have one screen with two buttons, it will cost less than having 10 screens with 100 buttons each!
For instance, a simple app with only a few screens and pages needs less development cost. However, if the app requires more complex features, it will lead to a higher development cost.
Additionally, each screen and page in an app requires a unique design, user interface, and functionality.
Developing each screen and page requires careful consideration of the user experience. The more screens and pages in the app, the more development cost.
Timeframe for development
The timeframe for development can affect the cost of developing a flutter app. The longer the development time, the higher the development cost.
You have multiple pricing options available:
- Time-based cost model
- A fixed-price contract
A time-based contract in app development refers to an agreement between the client and the development team where the client pays for the developer’s time and effort invested in building the app. The payment is typically based on the number of hours worked, regardless of the outcome or results.
This model is ideal for projects with a flexible time frame and unclear requirements. But, it can also be unpredictable and lead to cost overruns, particularly if the project scope changes.
A fixed-price contract in app development refers to an agreement between the client and the development team where the client pays a predetermined fee to deliver a specific product or service. The fee is agreed upon upfront and does not change, regardless of how much time or effort is required to complete the project.
This type of contract is ideal when the project’s scope is well-defined and the development team can estimate the cost accurately.
So, what’s the ideal choice?
Choosing a fixed-price contract over a time-based cost model provides more certainty and stability. But, it is essential to consider the scope of the project. This makes sure that the fixed-price contract is workable and reasonable.
Development team (in-house or outsourced)
The development team can significantly affect the cost of developing a flutter app.
When you hire an in-house team, you have control over the development process, but it can be costly as you need to provide salaries, benefits, and office space to your employees.
Additionally, you must ensure you have enough work to keep them busy. It means you must have multiple projects running concurrently or have enough work to keep them busy throughout the year.
On the other hand, working with a mobile app development partner through outsourcing can be a more economical choice.
Outsourced teams typically have a deeper pool of experienced developers. They can decrease the overhead expenses of hiring and overseeing an in-house team.
You only need to pay for the hours worked. This can also help you scale your development team up or down as needed, depending on the size and complexity of your project.
Outsourcing also offers greater flexibility in resources. This can reduce costs by minimizing the need for unnecessary resources and allowing the ability to add resources.
The Cost of In-House Flutter App Development
The in-house development cost can range from $80,000 to $250,000, depending on the app’s complexity. This includes salaries for a team of developers, project managers, and quality assurance specialists, as well as office overhead and benefits. The cost can vary based on the expertise and location of the team members.
Advantages of In-House Flutter App Development
- Control over project timeline and budget: In-house team is accountable to the company. This allows for better project timelines and budget control.
- Efficient communication and collaboration: In-house teams enjoy better and more direct communication, which leads to increased collaboration.
- Possibility of reusing code and components: Developing an app in-house enables the company to keep the code and components. This can be reused for future projects, saving both resources and costs.
- Customization and flexibility: In-house development allows for greater customization and flexibility. This is because the team can respond quickly to the requirements.
Disadvantages of In-House Flutter App Development
- High initial investment: When you hire flutter developers for in-house project, the initial investment is high for the company. This can be a major disadvantage for small and medium-sized companies.
- Lack of specialized knowledge and expertise: In-house development teams may not have the level of specialized knowledge and expertise available in the market. It can result in the development of subpar apps or longer development times.
- Higher risk of missed deadlines and budget overruns: In-house teams may not have the required experience and efficiency. This can lead to missed deadlines and budget overruns.
- Difficulty in finding and retaining top talent: Attracting and retaining top talent in this industry can be challenging.
- Increased workload and responsibilities: In-house team can increase the workload and responsibilities. This can lead to burnout and decreased job satisfaction for team members.
Cost Considerations for In-House Flutter App Development
- Salary and benefits: Salaries and benefits are a major factor in the development cost. This includes team members’ salaries and benefits such as health insurance, etc.
- Equipment and office space: Equipment and office space for the team can be an expense for a company.
- Training and certification: In-house teams may need training and certification to stay up-to-date. These costs can include training courses, workshops, and certifications.
- Tools, software, and resources: The cost of tools, software, and other resources can add up quickly. This includes software such as development tools and the cost of licenses for these tools.
- Legal and administrative costs: Legal and administrative costs can include legal fees for drafting contracts, registering trademarks and copyrights, and other legal requirements. It can also include administrative costs for human resources, accounts, and other functions.
The Cost of Outsourced Flutter App Development
Outsourced flutter app development cost can vary, ranging anywhere from $20,000 to $200,000 or more.
Let’s understand more about outsourced flutter app development:
Advantages of outsourced development
- Cost-effectiveness: Outsourcing can be more cost-effective than hiring an in-house team. It eliminates the need for salaries, benefits, and other costs.
- Ability to focus on core business activities: Outsourcing app development enables companies to concentrate on their primary business activities as a specialized agency manages the development project.
- Access to specialized knowledge and expertise: Outsourced agencies have specialized knowledge and expertise. This can result in a higher-quality app and faster development times.
- Scalability: Outsourced agencies can scale up or down to meet changing project requirements. This can be a major advantage for companies with fluctuating development needs.
- Flexibility: Outsourcing allows companies to switch between agencies and in-house teams as needed. This provides greater flexibility of development options.
- Improved project management: Outsourced agencies often have established project management processes and systems. This can result in improved project management and increased efficiency.
- Reduced risk: Outsourcing reduces the risk of missed deadlines and budget overruns. Specialized agencies are more experienced and efficient at managing development projects.
Disadvantages of outsourced development
- Communication and collaboration challenges: Communication and collaboration can be difficult in outsourcing. But modern communication technologies have made it easier to overcome these challenges.
- Lack of control over project details: Outsourcing can result in a lack of control over certain project details. But, this can be mitigated by establishing clear project requirements and deadlines.
- Cost of management and oversight: Outsourcing may require additional management. The company must ensure that the agency is meeting project requirements and deadlines.
Cost considerations for outsourced development
- Software Development agency fees: The cost of outsourcing will vary depending on the size and complexity of the project. It also depends on the experience and expertise of the development agency. Companies should budget for agency fees, including project fees and other costs.
- Project management and oversight costs: Outsourcing may need extra management and oversight costs. The company will need to ensure that the agency is meeting requirements.
- Legal and administrative costs: Outsourcing app development may need legal and administrative costs, such as contracts, etc.
Tips for finding a reliable outsourced flutter development team
- Research potential Custom Software development agencies: Research potential agencies and read their reviews. This will help to understand their track record and expertise.
- Check portfolio and references: Look at the agency’s portfolio to get a sense of the quality of their work. Ask for references to speak with past clients. [Check out our Stunning Design portfolio over Dribbble]
- Look for experience and expertise: Look for an agency with experience and expertise in developing apps similar to the one you’re looking to build.
- Consider communication and collaboration: Consider how well the agency communicates with clients. This will be important for ensuring the success of your project.
- Consider cost: Consider the agency’s fees, but don’t make cost the sole deciding factor. Instead, look for an agency that offers competitive pricing and good value.
- Negotiate the contract: Carefully review and negotiate the contract. Make sure that it includes all project requirements, deadlines, and costs.
- Continuously test performance: Check the agency’s performance. Be prepared to make changes if necessary.
Following these tips, companies can find a reliable team to help bring their project to life. A careful selection process will help ensure that the agency is a good fit for your project.
Flutter App Maintenance and Ongoing Costs
Ongoing maintenance and updates are critical for ensuring that a Flutter app remains functional. As technology evolves, users’ needs and preferences change. New features are added to the platform; apps must be updated and maintained to keep pace. Regular maintenance and updates help:
- Fix bugs and improve performance: Regular updates help to fix bugs. It also improves the app’s overall performance.
- Add new features: New features can be added to the app through regular updates. This helps to keep it relevant and competitive.
- Improve security: Regular updates can help improve the app’s security, protecting user data and keeping the app safe from potential threats.
- Maintain compliance with platform guidelines: Ongoing maintenance and updates help to ensure that the app remains compliant with platform guidelines, reducing the risk of removal from app stores.
The cost of maintaining a Flutter app can range from $2000 to $5000 per month. The cost of maintaining software should include an allocation of 20% of the initial cost.
How SolGuruz can help you with Flutter App Development in 2023
SolGuruz is a top outsource flutter app development services provider company that can help you with Flutter app development in 2023. They have the specialized knowledge and resources to construct high-quality and user-friendly applications.
SolGuruz can assist you in the complete development cycle. They also offer ongoing maintenance and support to ensure the success of your Flutter app.
With SolGuruz, you can hire flutter developers with years of experience. They can provide customized solutions that meet your specific business needs and help you achieve your goals.
Determining the right cost for your Flutter app development project can be a challenging task. But it’s a crucial step to ensure the success of your project.
Various factors mentioned in the blog can influence the Flutter app development cost. So, you must plan your idea before contacting a flutter app development agency for help. This is because the process will be much smoother once you know what you want, as every idea requires a different timeline.
You can ensure that your project is completed within budget through proper evaluation. This will give you the best possible value for your investment.
Is Flutter development free?
Yes, Flutter development is free and open-source. The Flutter framework, tools, and libraries are all available under the BSD license. It allows developers to use, change, and distribute the code. Many free resources and tutorials are available online to help you learn and develop with Flutter.
Is Flutter enough for app development?
Yes, Flutter can handle app development for both iOS and Android platforms. It has a modern, reactive framework, pre-designed widgets, and hot reload capabilities. These properties make it easy to develop and iterate on an app. It also uses Dart programming language. This language is simple to learn and has a growing developer community.
Is Flutter good for enterprise level projects?
Yes, Flutter is capable of handling big projects. Its architecture supports high performance. Its widget library, hot reload, and other features make it easy to develop a large codebase. Additionally, it has a growing community and robust ecosystem. Flutter developers can access many third-party packages and plugins to expand their capabilities.
What is the Flutter app development cost in India?
The average cost for Flutter app development in India ranges from $10,000 to $50,000. But, providing a more precise estimate without knowing the project’s specifics is difficult.
How much does it cost to develop the Flutter app?
The cost of developing a Flutter app can range from $15,000 to $200,000, depending on the project’s scope. Simple Flutter apps can cost between $15,000 and $60,000. Apps with middle complexity can cost between $60,000 and $120,000. Highly complex Flutter apps can cost upwards of $120,000 to $200,000.
What are the main factors affecting the Flutter app development cost?
The app’s complexity, the team’s size, API integrations, etc., influence the Flutter app development cost. Generally, a small team creating a simple app costs less than a large team creating a complex app.
How to calculate the Flutter app development cost?
To calculate the cost of developing, one must consider the time, team charges, and other costs. It is best to consult a professional team or a flutter app development company to get an accurate estimate.