In this article :
Ready to do business with us?
The use of mobile applications is now widespread. No matter what our immediate requirement is – tickets, transportation, or food – we download the relevant app and do it. Thanks to advanced smartphone applications, we may access almost any resource instantly.
Mobile apps are becoming a need for many organizations across various sectors. These apps must function flawlessly on several iOS, Android, and Windows systems. You may create such products rapidly and cheaply with a cross-platform mobile development strategy.
The perfection of cross-platform app development is a key factor in its current popularity. Gradually, and then all at once, along with every other mobile app development business trying its hands at this remarkable and one-of-a-kind technology, a wide variety of cross-platform app development tools and frameworks rushed onto the market.
In 2023, the demand for companies to innovate and remain ahead of the competition will only increase. Having a presence on several platforms necessitates the creation of dedicated development teams, which may be time-consuming and expensive, especially for young businesses. Cross-platform mobile app development frameworks have emerged as a viable alternative for organizations looking to save time and money in the app creation process. Companies may develop programs across several platforms, such as Windows, iOS, Android, and the web, with only one set of code.
Learn about the best frameworks for cross-platform app development in 2023 and beyond with the help of this thorough guide. Get the most up-to-date knowledge on cross-platform frameworks to give yourself a leg up in the app development race.
What is Cross-Platform App Development?
Said cross-platform applications can run on multiple platforms, such as iOS, Android, Windows, etc. In contrast to native applications, cross-platform apps need a single set of codes to function. Instead, you must develop the app’s code once, and it will function smoothly across all platforms.
Several application developers and mobile app studios are switching to cross-platform app development. This has resulted in a proliferation of cross-platform app development frameworks and tools, leaving developers bewildered by the number of options available.
For this reason, we have compiled this post to assist you in making an informed decision when selecting a cross-platform app development framework to create amazing applications compatible with several platforms.
What Is a Cross-Platform Mobile App Development Framework?
You can design applications that look and feel native on several platforms – including iOS, Android, Windows, and the Web – with just one piece of code, thanks to a cross-platform mobile app development framework. With cross-platform app development, you can reach more people in your target demographic while reducing costs and development time.
As it is one of the most well-liked innovations of the present, most mobile app development companies make heavy use of it.
Let’s look at both benefits and drawbacks of using Cross-Platform App Development.
What Are the Benefits of Cross-Platform Apps?
The user base of cross-platform programs may be much larger. These applications don’t have to be built on the same platform to operate together so that companies can reach more people.
Having many apps aimed at the same demographic provides efficient advertising. With the ability to distribute their applications via both the Google Play Store (Android) and the Apple App Store (iOS), companies may increase their chances of making a sale in today’s more cutthroat industry.
A Separate Developer is Not Required for Each Platform.
Cross-platform applications eliminate the need to staff independently for each platform since they share a single code base and API. The fewer people involved in the development process, the lower the overall cost. Cost overruns are no longer a concern for companies using cross-platform app development.
It Makes App Development Faster and Cheaper.
Time is money, and cross-platform apps may cut down on both. One team can handle all of your app’s versions. Still, with native development, you’d need many groups working on different project parts simultaneously. Because of this, it’s perfect for companies needing to immediately impact across a wide variety of platforms with a single app.
It Helps Maintain the Uniformity
Creating a mobile app that works across several platforms may be time-consuming. The software must be developed independently for Android and iOS and provide the same user experience regardless of the device used to launch it.
When you add that each system has a unique purpose, you can see how this may quickly become an issue. In this case, you may benefit from cross-platform app development for Android and iOS Devices to create an app that can be used across various platforms while maintaining a consistent appearance and feel for users.
It Offers You Flexibility & Faster updates
One advantage of developing for several platforms is that code may be compiled more quickly. While developing many platforms, developers benefit greatly from adopting the same programming language. The linguistic capabilities of a device are expanded with the development of cross-platform applications. Developers are then free to switch to different technologies as the situation demands.
It is Easy to Implement
Users and programmers alike benefit from consistency. The app development process is simplified with the aid of React Native and Flutter, allowing for simpler development across numerous platforms and devices. These frameworks were designed to let developers construct native applications for both Android and iOS from a single source of code.
What Are the Disadvantages of Cross-Platform Apps?
Developing mobile apps that work across platforms has benefits and drawbacks.
There Are Issues Related to the Integration
The integration of a mobile app built for many platforms might be problematic. Because of the cross-platform nature of the technique, it might be difficult to include your app’s preferences, alerts, and local settings.
If you’re having trouble with integration, you can leverage a public cloud service to get the job done. But your app’s security might be jeopardized by using that route.
There Are Issues & Impacts on Performance
Developing several platforms requires you to juggle multiple priorities. Hence, problems will vary based on the operating system and device. Design your software for older, less capable smartphones. You’ll never be able to use the features that make newer devices so appealing.
There will always be bugs in functionality that can’t be fixed but only affect a tiny subset of users. For instance, on certain devices, such as smaller screens or older technology, a button may be completely off-screen, making it unreachable.
It would help if you had a committed QA staff with excellent problem-solving abilities to succeed in cross-platform.
There Will Be Issues Related to UX And UI Design Quality
All the platform-specific user experience and interface elements are included in a native app. They fully use each platform’s native capabilities by writing code specifically for iOS and Android.
Fewer options are available to programmers when both platforms in cross-platform mobile app development have a single code base. The quality of the user experience may suffer if they cannot fully use their mobile device’s capabilities.
This isn’t always the case; maybe your program doesn’t need the unavailable functionalities. But if it does, it could be a good idea to create standalone native applications.
There Are Issues Related to the Update
Your cross-platform framework may take some time to incorporate new capabilities introduced in operating systems.
Until the framework is upgraded, you won’t be able to use the new features. Users may get dissatisfied if they wait too long for bug fixes or new features.
It Has a Harder Code Design
Since there are so many variations across devices and platforms, cross-platform apps must tailor their aesthetics and features to each. This results in greater work for developers who must account for unique cases across various devices and platforms, particularly regarding more intricate features.
Since these difficulties don’t often arise with native applications, developers may focus more on their end users’ needs.
Cross-Platform Apps Based on Programming Languages
Cross-Platform Vs. Native Vs. Hybrid Development
We have already discussed the cross-platform above; let us know briefly how exactly Native and Hybrid Development work.
Native development applications are built for a particular operating system, such as Android and iOS.
These apps are built using particular languages; for instance, Java or Kotlin are used for developing Android apps, while Objective-C or Swift is used for iOS.
Native apps take complete advantage of features of the platforms such as GPS, compass, list of contacts, microphone, accelerometer, and much more, hence providing a better user experience.
Hybrid app development
A hybrid application amalgamates the features of both web and native applications. Hybrid applications are rising because they allow developers to single code for different platforms.
Hybrid apps are easier to develop and can be released faster than native apps.
Cross Vs. Native Vs. Hybrid: Which is better?
|Different code bases for other platforms.||The single code base for multiple platforms.||The single code base for multiple platforms.|
|Costlier as compared to Hybrid and cross-platform.||Lower Development Cost.||Cross-platform development demands comparatively fewer efforts and resources.|
|Quite independent of open-source libraries and frameworks.||Depends on libraries and frameworks.||Depends on libraries and frameworks.|
|Better performance than hybrid or cross-platform.||Lower Performance.||Better/Lower Performance.|
|The development process takes time.||Released faster to the market.||Released faster to the market.|
Best Cross-Platform App Development Frameworks in 2023
A 2021 study of developers worldwide found Flutter as the most popular cross-platform mobile framework. According to the results, 42% of programmers have used Flutter. Around a third of mobile developers worldwide use cross-platform technologies or frameworks. In contrast, the remaining two-thirds rely on local tools.
React Native Framework
Popular applications like Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Artsy are built using React Native.
Features of React Native Framework
- React Native’s open-mindedness as a cross-platform app framework, similar to Ionic, is an advantage. As a result, it has a sizable community that works to maintain and improve it by fixing problems, inventing new features, and submitting contributions.
- Another perk of cross-platform development is that it facilitates using WORA (WORA (Write Once, Run Anywhere) as code when adapting programs for different platforms (Android and iOS). This solves one of the biggest problems with using multiple frameworks: writing code twice for the same app on other platforms.
- One-time coding not only keeps the cost of developing a React Native app to a minimum but also drastically shortens the time it takes to evolve.
- Regarding compatibility with mediation plugins like Google Maps and React Native excels.
- React Native heavily emphasizes user experience, leading to an engaging interface. This means that in a React Native environment, there is no loading time, and the user experience is seamless.
- React Native accelerates the development process by up to 30%, letting you use the same codebase for multiple platforms.
- Common Codebase also reduces development costs as companies only need to hire one team for multiple platforms.
- ReactNative has a rich ecosystem, i.e., an abundance of libraries and tools, which increases developers’ productivity.
- Large community support
- One amazing feature of ReactNative is its seamless integration with native apps.
- Testing is more challenging. Testing time is more than that in native apps.
- ReactNative has inferior Android support.
- Creating a hard-core team of developers well-versed in web and native technologies is hard.
- Extra focus on the performance.
Flutter, developed by Google, is a framework for creating applications that run on many platforms, including iOS, Android, and Google Fuchsia. Flutter is a free software development kit to create simple applications in two dimensions.
A developer study conducted in 2023 found that Flutter was the preferred cross-platform app development tool. It’s utilized by 40% of programmers all around the globe. SolGuruz has a staff of professional Flutter developers, and the company has built multiple fund-raising and award-winning mobile applications
The following are just a few fantastic features that make Flutter app development an exceptional cross-platform framework for designers.
Some amazing apps built using Flutter are:
- Google Ads
Features of Flutter
- Flutter encourages the use of mobile GPUs, which increases UI energy and enables it to work on recalcitrant interfaces.
- Since it maintains a reactive architecture, Flutter does not need the user to manually update the interface’s contents.
- Only Flutter app Developers are required to update the variables, after which the user interface changes will become apparent.
- The Flutter cross-platform app framework is an excellent option for developing a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) since it quickly kickstarts the development process and is inexpensive. This makes it a perfect choice for developing an MVP.
- The developers can automatically productively recast a widget tree and comprehend how the code has been adapted.
- Flutter is equipped with its own built-in graphics engine. With the next iteration of this product, the designers won’t have to worry about the difficulty of developing separate user interfaces for Android and iOS.
- Native-like performance, Flutter is standing out due to its native-like performance feature only. Flutter works with Skia, a graphics engine that enables rapid and well-optimized development.
- Hot reloading- Any changes made to the code get updated fast, which helps in debugging.
- The language in Flutter is Dart, which is quite easy to learn.
- Highly Portable- Due to good portability, it can run on several devices.
- Code Reusability- Due to code reusability, your app requires less testing and, thus, saves time and makes the development process faster.
- Customization and Integration- Flutter allows its users to leverage overlays, graphics, videos, pictures, etc. It also offers seamless integration and full control over every pixel on the screen.
- Native Feature Access – Through additional third-party integrations, you can access native features with Flutter. You can even reuse Kotlin and Swift when developing an app.
- Performance – Flutter-based apps are very smooth in their performance which makes for great UX.
- A limited number of third-party libraries: Flutter being relative, cannot be compared to native programming languages. Developers still need to spend more time building as many libraries as possible.
- Dart- Being a new language, Dart lacks many features, with existing features unrefined, making it hard to change them.
- Dart is not a popular language, so if you want to work with Flutter, you must learn how to use it.
- Flutter occupies a lot of space and is time-consuming as it takes longer to update and download.
In May 2011, Microsoft released its architecture for creating apps that run on several platforms. The structure is built using Microsoft’s technology stack. With the best cross-platform app development framework, developers may reuse up to 90% of their code across robust platforms. This framework has the support of over 1.4 million developers, making it simple to implement. As a result, any problems you may have will be simple to fix.
Because of the native-like interface and controls, helping create native-like applications is simpler for cross-platform app developers. As Xamarin offers excellent compile-time verification, developers seldom encounter runtime errors or problems. The program can build fantastic iOS, Android, and Windows applications and interacts with Visual Studio.
Some of the best apps built using Xamarin:
- Cincinnati Children’s Caren
- Alaska Airlines
- Microsoft news
- Microsoft Azure
Features of Xamarin
- Incorporating Objective-C, Java, and C++ libraries into Xamarin in their original form is beneficial. This makes it possible for developers to reuse large codebases encrypted in Java, Objective-C, or C++, ultimately resulting in one of the most comprehensive cross-platform frameworks.
- Xamarin aids the WORA (Write Once, Run Anywhere) process and maintains a large pool of course libraries, reducing the time and money needed to build mobile applications.
- Xamarin offers powerful compile-time verification capabilities. Due to this talent, designers see fewer runtime errors and can produce cross-platform applications that perform well.
- Xamarin has a great native user experience and guides designers in developing native-looking applications while providing the necessary tools.
- Xamarin.Native is famous for its ability to function with a single, shared codebase, which accounts for 75% of its total codebase.
- One of the best things about Xamarin is the number of learning resources that are available on it.
- MVC/MVVM patterns are super easy to develop for users in Xamarin.
- External nugget libraries in Xamarin let you leverage many useful features, including Data Mining and Commands.
- Easy Maintenance.
- Better user experience due to platform-specific UI elements.
- Xamarin cannot be used for developing gaming apps or apps that demand high graphics.
- Xamarin doesn’t provide complete access to Android-specific UI controls, and you have to code for these controls
- Xamarin has some ecosystem problems and limited access to some open-source libraries.
- Xamarin is available at zero cost for startups and individuals. However, enterprises are required to buy licenses for Microsoft’s Visual Studios.
As a cross-platform application development framework, PhoneGap uses existing web technologies to build special applications. Moreover, it completely supports a device’s in-built features like storage, phonebook, camera, GPS, etc.
Best apps built using Adobe PhoneGap:
- TripCase – Travel Planner
- HealthTap – Personal Health Advisor
- Wikipedia – Free Encyclopaedia
Features of Adobe PhoneGap
- PhoneGap allows developers to create high-quality apps using a single codebase for various frameworks.
- Since its design allows plugins, developers can expand their access to native device APIs modularly. This is made possible by the architecture’s support for plugins.
- With PhoneGap, you can make integrated payments via the App Store or Android Market.
- A single code for multi-platforms (iOS, Android, Windows 7, and the web).
- PhoneGap has large community support.
- With a wide range of UI libraries, you can create a better customer experience.
- Access to native features of OS and mobile devices with PhoneGap.
- Faster development process due to flexibility.
- Latency in performance.
- Due to the lack of pre-built UI transitions, widgets, and controls, it takes time to create native-like polished apps.
- Not suitable for creating gaming apps or apps that demand high graphics.
- Not enough description or direction regarding UI to implore the application is given in Adobe PhoneGap.
To create 2D mobile apps, you may utilize the Corona SDK for Windows, Kindle, and other popular devices. The tenfold increase in productivity makes it ideal for making games on mobile devices.
Lua is used, which is a multi-paradigm, high-level programming language that prioritizes efficiency, scalability, portability, and user-friendliness in app creation. As a bonus, the Corona SDK is costless and even allows for real-time testing.
Zip-Zap, Designer City, and Little Boxes are just a few of the fantastic applications developed with the help of the Corona SDK.
Features of Corona SDK
- It provides over a thousand application programming interfaces (APIs), enabling your developers to generate audio, music, animations, and tween objects, among other things.
- It provides a real-time preview of an application exactly as it would look on a device and is very responsive to changes in the code that are made.
- More than two hundred different plugins, such as those for media, analytics, and in-app advertising, are supported by the Corona SDK.
- Since it is based on Lua, this framework is strong and lightning-fast.
- Corona has something that no other framework usually guarantees developers: the fast FPS( Frames Per Second), which also prevents lagging.
- Through the built-in Corona Simulator, we can easily view code changes and eliminate the need for maintenance tool sets.
- Its seamless integration lets you focus on the design of the application.
- Faster Development process.
- Corona SDK is a bit on the expensive end.
- Lua as a language is quite easy to learn. Still, it takes time for developers to get a hold of it, making programming difficult for at least some time.
- It is not the best choice for developing native apps.
- Corona’s emulator doesn’t run on all kinds of apps. It also doesn’t support the development and deployment process, i.e., you must compile it first and then install it on your device.
What are the most important categories of programs that should be used with Flutter Cross Platform Framework?
The possibility with Flutter is endless; here are the top cases where you can use the Flutter cross-platform framework.
We know Flutter operates quicker than competing frameworks. This speed advantage is essential for developing a successful gaming app. The pace of the game has to be lightning-fast and seamless. Because of this, the production of games using Flutter is the ideal option for the gaming business.
The development of Flutter apps involves the construction of applications for picture editing apps to provide a more individualized experience. These applications are essential downloads for everybody who maintains a social network presence. For them, Flutter offers clear and straightforward access to the most sophisticated capabilities.
During the pandemic, on-demand applications saw their potential and did well with Flutter app creation. Its outstanding performance, fantastic user interface, and amazing design make it an attractive option for consumers.
Is your current project a good match for Flutter development?
Why focus on Flutter? It is a good choice for your next web or game app development.
Several business models might benefit from the customizable widgets that come standard with Flutter app development. The widget vendor provides builders with tools for creating sophisticated user interfaces. Integrate third-party plugins and widgets for a more streamlined experience. The UI toolkit makes creating Flutter apps easier to use.
Superb Quality of Life for the User
The flexibility of a UI built using Flutter means it can theoretically run on any device. It includes a rendering engine that facilitates cross-platform UI portability for developers. Apps provide a consistent user experience across devices. Providing a satisfying customer experience is a certain way to boost the company.
There is no need to worry about hidden costs when hiring a Flutter developer.
Developers working with the Flutter platform produce functional, cost-effective applications. There’s no need to go out of your way to acquire a top-notch application. The app will still be sent to you if you are strapped for cash. There won’t be any unannounced costs or anything like that. During the development phase, our developers keep us motivated.
Ability to Reuse Code
Dual app development is challenging and time-consuming. In addition, Flutter’s code reusability feature allows developers to write once and deploy to several platforms. It speeds up the application release process and cuts down on development time.
Increased Trustworthiness and Openness
Most developers give security some thought throughout the development and testing process. If Flutter finds a weakness in the defenses, it will alert the team before the vulnerability can be exploited. Get the greatest encrypted app and never worry again about the safety of your Flutter app.
Personalized, Superb User Experience
Using Flutter, you can create stunning applications with a great interface. Google used a tiered approach to construct its user interface. It has a user interface that is both remarkable and adaptable. Because of its layered design, user interface rendering may be made quicker.
More rapid product development means a shorter time to market.
Almost often, you can recycle your Flutter code. Using Flutter’s widget library makes code reuse simpler and more effective. Flutter employs a hot refresh alternative that is simple and fast if any code changes are necessary or if bugs need to be fixed. Developers working with Flutter spend the same time, effort, and money as any other app developer.
Savings on expenses
Just one codebase is preferable to two. Using a shorter development cycle helps save money since it requires fewer human resources and is less complex. It’s possible to release two apps for iOS and Android on a tight budget. Developing an app using Flutter allows you to save costs by using several helpful tools.
How SolGuruz can help you with the best Cross-Platform App Development
Thanks to cross-platform app development frameworks, web design and development firms may now provide superior functionality and user-friendliness. Universal interoperability and low development costs are two of the fundamental goals of these frameworks. Developers must consider both project and business needs when making a framework decision. As a developer, you should always strive for 100% client satisfaction.
Since there is no alternative to the speed and user experience of native applications, native development is here to stay.
Yet, cross-platform development is on the rise as a viable choice for app creation.
The next difficult step is deciding which cross-platform solution is ideal for your current project.
- Both Flutter and React Native have established themselves as viable options for developing native-looking applications, and they perform well in practice.
- Xamarin is useful for developing high-performance apps, and PhoneGap is now the market leader thanks to its explosive growth.
- If you want to make a 2D game, Corona SDKs is the way to go.
We hope this article helped guide you toward the most appropriate technology for your next project. To clear up any questions you may have, we have a skilled team of software engineers who can help you with anything you need, whether that’s a Flutter developer, an Android developer, an iOS developer, or a partner in the app development process.
What is a cross-platform app development framework?
With Cross-Platform Mobile App Development Frameworks, you can create applications for various platforms through a single code base. It saves you from the headache of choosing only one platform for running your business.
Which framework can be used to develop cross-platform applications?
Flutter, Xamarin, React Native, Adobe PhoneGap, Ionic, and Corona SDK are some cross-platform app development frameworks.
Which are the top cross-platform mobile app development frameworks in 2023?
In 2022-2023, Flutter and React Native were the two most popular frameworks for cross-platform app development.
How do you make a mobile app cross-platform?
The answer is simple. Choosing a top cross-platform app development company with experienced developers and the right tech stack required for effective app development.
What are the benefits of cross-platform app development?
Code reusability, coding consistency, and code maintenance are major benefits of cross-platform app development. Efforts and cost-wise, it also helps in managing the budget and timeline.